No matter how old you are right now, with every passing year you are going to grow older. Growing old is a natural part of our life cycle, and there is nothing you can do to stop it, or is there? Can we really prevent aging? Even though we may not be able to stop the aging process completely, we could definitely try to slow it down a little.
To know what we can do to slow down our aging process and stay younger for a long time, we must first try to understand why we grow old.
Why we age?
Age is not just a number; as we grow older some signs of aging becomes prominent that cannot be denied. As we grow old we grow weaker, our metabolism slows down, and we start to lose muscle mass. Our skin starts to lose moisture, all our senses get weaker and we get all sorts of health issues because our immune system gets weaker too as we get older.
Science has been able to identify the DNA responsible for our aging. How long we will live is primarily determined by our genetic codes. Our bodies are programmed by our DNA codes to stop producing new cells after a certain time. As we grow older, we stop making new living cells, our cells lose their ability to reproduce, and all our existing cells start to die.
However, the environment and our lifestyle also play important roles in our aging process. So, after a certain age, we start to die one cell at a time. How fast we will age depends on our family traits and our lifestyle.
“We age so completely and in so many different ways, we are programmed to die.” – Derrick Rossi, stem cell biologist, Harvard University. “
The fountain of youth
The average life expectancy in the United States is about 77 years, and by 2020, the U.S. Census Bureau projects life expectancy to reach 79.5 years. This increase in number has been calculated based on improvements of our living standards and improvements in the medical science field. Medical science hasn’t found the fountain of youth yet, which would magically make you younger.
Don’t be fooled by commercials that claim to make you look younger magically. You don’t need any drugs or supplements; you just need regular practice and discipline to adapt to a healthy lifestyle.
A healthy lifestyle would slow your aging
Our lifestyle plays a huge role in how we look and feel. A healthy lifestyle includes getting enough sleep, exercising regularly, and eating a balanced diet with adequate nutritious food, including some of the antioxidant rich anti-aging foods.
Here are some healthy ways to slow down aging:
- Drink plenty of water
- Eat a balanced diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables
- Get on a daily exercise routine
- Get a good nights’ sleep
- Avoid processed and junk food
- Avoid bad habits like smoking, heavy drinking, or staying up late at night
- Visit your doctor regularly for physical checkups
- Follow personal hygiene rules, wash your hands, and keep your house clean
These healthy habits will help you stay healthy, avoid diseases, strengthen your immune system naturally, help you looking and feeling vibrant throughout your life.
We’ll be back with more tips on healthy living. Until then, stay healthy and stay well. For more information please click here to book a meeting with us or leave a comment in the comment box below, or call us at 303-495-3705.
Do you have a question or comment? Please don’t hesitate to post them in the comment box below. Please also visit our Facebook page; we would really appreciate your feedback on this article.
Source: Balanced Life Team.
Related articles and resources:
- 9 Natural Ways to Slow Down Aging
- 5 Tips To Help Slow Down The Aging Process
- 10 Ways to Stay Younger Longer | Balanced Life Team
- Why do we age and is there anything we can do about it? | Understanding Genetics
- Tips on Healthy Eating & Living a Healthy Life | Balanced Life Team
- What You Must Know About Human Immune System | Balanced Life Team
- 5 Natural Ways to Achieve Immune System Enhancement | Balanced Life Team
- 5 Awesome Reasons Why You Should Drink More Water | Balanced Life Team