Last week, December 11th and 12th, was an exciting week and important progress was made on my project. Both Thursday and Friday I was given time to work on my project, and I took that time whole-heatedly. I made sure that I visited the Boulder Home Depot to purchase the necessary materials to create my pivoting pyramid prototype.
I was faced with an existential question before I started assembling, to use metal parts or try to use organic materials only. With a good ethos in mind, my first prototype did not incorporate any metal. I used only wood, rope, and fiberglass. I shortly realized that my design for that prototype was not built to last and unstable. I had come to terms with using stainless steel brackets, nuts, and bolts. While I tried avoiding metal materials, steel will ensure stability for some time to come. And to put it into perspective, building a structure of growth that will last for many seasons to come ensures a significant return on my investment and a beneficial return for the environment.
Included in this blog post are three pictures. These pictures show the progress I have made thus far. For stage one (the structure’s skeleton) I am 85% finished. For the overall project, I am 50% finished. Below presents my idea of creating a circular fiberglass (recycled parts) as the apex plate, securing two heavy brackets per pole to the underside of this plate, and bolting them into place symmetrically. This design allows for the poles to pivot in place either all the way out, or all the way in.
This also allows for someone to decide on the particular dimensions they want their pyramid to be. But, it is preferred that the poles are buried one to two feet into the ground for further stability. The next step is to finish installing the next poles and brackets. Once that has been done, I will then purchase a role of polyethylene greenhouse covering to create two layers around my pyramid. Also I plan to secure two by four blocks on top of the plate to screw in several screw eyes that will be used for tension rope to provide extra space for the second layer of the greenhouse cover. I am extremely excited to get this project up and off the ground (no pun intended)!
Thanks for reading,