ocean-life-215133_1280It’s all about the data again this week. Emily and I completed the water testing quickly on Wednesday.  I finally created a research proposal for biomass determination and ultimately count data for AQ1. Wayne wasn’t sure if the difference between volumes with and without fish would be detectable using a standard water displacement experiment.  There has got to be a way to count them without decreasing survivability of the animals.

Emily and I tried to identify the purple ooze in the saltwater tank. We think the species is coralline algae, or red algae. In dense population, red algae creates red blooms that starve systems of oxygen, but in small amounts seems to be an indicator of health in a tank.

Friday I tried to ID all the system fish and their needs. I added PVC to tank systems 2 and 3 because the armored atfish (Hypostomusplecostomus) like cover. The tank 2 specimen was out in the open and the tank 3 animal had minimal cover; now they have my version of a hamster hideaway. All the fish in both tanks are still taking position on the opposite side of the tanks, vigilantly watching the additions like an alien has landed. In my research, I learned that the Pacu, (Piaractus brachypomus) needs considerably more space and may explain the aggressiveness of the animal. I also sexed the blue gill (Lepomis macrochirus). She looks happier in tank 2, quarantined alone with a single catfish, mentioned earlier.

I created a new spreadsheet for system 11 and got it up to date. I got this week’s data entered in Excel. I also transplanted the cucumber into pots.

Pin It on Pinterest

Get Your Free Book to Unleash the Entrepreneur in You!Get it Now!