1052472_45278998

The H2O test results continue to be an area of concern for me. We’ve increased the feedings in each of the systems over the last week to daily feelings and some expected results are starting to show however they’re inconsistent. This is going to require further testing to figure out why and where the break down is. The Poca system is most likely being over fed, the fish have lost their aggression but today I removed excess food from yesterday’s feeding and an attempted later feeding resulted in the fish showing no interest in the food and it was removed. Water tests showed an increase of all variable levels.

NO3- is reading at 180ppm, but it could be higher which may mean that the system is starting to stress and the fish while one aspect is an improvement there could be unseen issues. The feeding on this system is going to need continued tweaking.  Even though the H2O tests are not showing any consistent changes in the saltwater system, little to no recorded changes, the system itself appears healthier. The additional nourishment seems to be helping this system, just need to get it to show in the tests. The system consistently shows intake but no output. I like this challenge.

I’ve discussed the idea of the introduction of SOP’s (Standard Operating Procedures), additional training and a new system for data analysis, this was well received. I’m now considering writing multiple SOP’s; water testing, Solid Phase Extraction and chemical handling. It’s going to take a lot to get even a small analytical chemistry area going for the extractions I’m considering and SOP’s will be a necessity for its proper functioning.

This week I took down the remaining plants in system 6, AQ1 runoff. Nearly every plant was dead and had an Aphid infestation that was severe. The raised location of the system, the warehouse’s premium conditions and the difficulty of accessibility provided a perfect breeding ground for the Aphids. I reused the rocks from this system for another but spend a great deal of time cleaning them in an attempt to prevent a cross contamination issue with the Aphids. Especially since to date, I’ve only managed to make a Neem oil spray to treat the plants and it hasn’t been implemented yet. I still need to make a schedule and set up some peramidors. ¬† With the Aphids being such a large area of concern, once a treatment begins it’s going to possibly need daily recordings of observations done. The ladybug population in now at 2 in the POD. Their affects on the aphids population is going to be minimal at this low of a population. The companion/repel planting is going well in the POD. There appears to be smaller Aphid populations on plants nearer to these plants. I attempted to clone some of the peppermint but watering issues in the POD resulted in all attempts dying. The planting done at seeding appears to not have taken. It’s taking longer than expected for germination and the few plants that are coming up won’t be ready for transplanting at the same time as the lettuce. This is going to take multiple attempts to refine the conditions needed for both plants to grow relatively close in cycle time.

Wendy Chapman

Pin It on Pinterest

Get Your Free Book to Unleash the Entrepreneur in You!Get it Now!