How much do you know about our nature? There are several things that could empower your knowledge about the nature and environment. You may find the trivial information given below helpful and it would answer several questions regarding land and water of the earth.
Trivia about water
- Earth’s surface is covered with 70.9% water, 29.1% land.
- Only about 3% of total earth water is drinkable, the other 97% water is salt water
- Water of the lakes, ponds, swamps, streams, rivers and all other surface water make only 0.3% of the earth’s fresh water.
- 68.7 % of the earth’s fresh water is frozen in glaciers.
- about 30% of earth’s fresh water is ground water
- Frozen water makes 1.7% of total earth’s water
- Water can dissolve many substances, more than any other liquids. Even sulfuric acid cannot dissolve as many substances as water. ·
- More than 25% of bottled water actually comes from municipal tap water.
- A slight rise in sea level due to melting of ice caps can drown many countries around the world in the coaster areas. A ten meter rise in sea level would flood 25% of the US population.·
- Our atmosphere contains more water as vapor than all the rivers in the world combined. If this vapor came down as water it would be enough to cover the whole world with about an inch of water.
- Pure water would evaporate in Loveland, Colorado quicker than it would in New York. Water boils at a lower temperature with lower pressure at higher altitudes than in a lower altitude high pressure area, just like your pressure cooker can bring water to a higher temperature before boiling.
- The water consumption in the United States is about 400 billion gallons a day.
- Thermo-electric power generators in the USA use about 50% of the water supply.
- On average, the yearly consumption of water by the US residences is about 100,000 gallons.
- 750,000 gallons of water flows through the Niagara Falls every second.
- On average, an American residence uses about 100 gallons of water per day.
- Most of the water in households goes down the toilet.
- Leaving the faucet open would make 2 gallons of water flow out every minute, so you could save four gallons or more water while you brush your teeth in the morning if you do not leave the faucet running.
- A dripping faucet could leak about 3,000 gallons of water each year at one drip per second rate.
Trivia about continents
- Australia is the driest populated continent of the world. The average rainfall in Australia is about 469 mm annually. The world average rainfall is 746 mm of rainfall.
- Antarctica is drier, with less rainfall per year, but it’s not as populated as Australia.
- The largest continent of the world is Asia, which covers one third of the earth’s surface. 60% of the world’s population lives in Asia, and 30% of the land of the world is in Asia.
- Africa was called the Dark Continent because for a long time much was unknown about Africa.
- Antarctica is called the “Frozen continent.” it is also the driest, loneliest, emptiest and coldest continent of the world, containing the geographic South Pole.
- The name America comes from an Italian explorer Amerigo Vespucci. North America contains United States of America and Canada, which is the only continent that has every kind of climate and five time zones.
- Lake Superior is the largest fresh water lake in the world located between Canada and the United States.
Hope you had a great time reading about these trivia. Most of these you may have already known, but it doesn’t hurt to brush up on your trivial knowledge. If you liked this post or any other post on our sites, please do not hesitate to put in a few words of comments or feedback as that would really inspire us.